Sunday, November 18, 2007

Seeking Wisdom

I know that no matter how much I am engaged in the task of searching for knowledge and wisdom through and in my human experiences, I know that the source of all truth is God. He must provide the wisdom necessary for the proper interpretation of reality.

As Proverbs 2:6, 10 - 11 says, “For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee.”

I seek to be wise with the decisions I make, but I keep failing – many times miserably. I know that many times I try using intellect and reason and forget that without dependence upon God’s revelation I am incapable of reaching a true understanding of reality. Like the acronym F.R.O.G. tells us, we need to Fully Rely On God. My pea-brain human mind forgets that many times.

Proverbs 8:11 says “For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.” Job 28 and Proverbs 3 also mentions how valuable wisdom is. I know that it is something to be treasured – but I also know that sometimes it is illusive. As I pore over God’s word and pray for wisdom and discernment, I know that I will continue to gain wisdom. . . little by little.

One of the final thoughts I need to always remember I find in Proverbs 4:11-13 “I have taught you the way of wisdom; I have led you in the paths of uprightness. When you walk, your step will not be hampered, and if you run, you will not stumble. Keep hold of instruction; do not let go; guard her, for she is your life.” Every day God is teaching me something. I just need to make sure that I have a teachable spirit so that I can be receptive (and not stubborn as I so often am) to what He has to say.

I pray that I will continue to find God’s wisdom and discernment in the different situations I come across. I know that I have found that the trials I have had of late have led me to study God’s Word at a depth that I haven’t done before. Even in the passages I find as I do my regular reading through the Bible have provided me with insight I hadn’t seen before. God is speaking to me in mighty and miraculous ways. For that I am eternally thankful. Out of bad things sometimes blessings come. . .

I thank God that he led us to Grace Baptist Church and that Tom Ascol is my pastor. He has been a source of wisdom and Godly counsel. My family has truly been blessed. He seems to have an innate ability to get right to the crux of a problem and see things for what they are. I am so thankful for that. That kind of awareness and discernment often seems to elude me.

Donna Ascol, his wife, has also been a blessing to my family. She has been a wonderful Godly role model for my daughter to see. She exemplifies what it means to be a Godly woman. She also has a truly humble and gentle spirit which is evident immediately. While she isn't accepting of negative things, she also isn't judgmental (that is also true of her husband). My daughter feels very comfortable around them. It wasn't always that way. When we started going to church at Grace, my kids somehow seemed to think that they (and most of the other church members) had some sort of "agenda" and that eventually the "face" would disappear and they would see them for who they "really" are. We have been at Grace almost 2 years now and all of my kids realize that this IS who they really are. I couldn't ask for any better Godly examples to hold before my children.

I wish I had found this church years ago, but I know that God's timing is perfect and there is a reason why it didn't happen until now.

No comments: