Thursday, January 24, 2008

Increase my Faith, Lord

My prayer for today is that You will increase my faith, Lord. You know what trials I am going through and how I am struggling. Please give me faith to stand firm.

Luke 17: 5,6 (ESV) says: “The apostles said to the Lord, ‘Increase our faith!’ And the Lord said, ‘If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.’”

I realize that if I rest in my own attempts to do what needs to be done, that I will always fail, and that the only one I can count on who absolutely will not fail me is You, God. I know the scriptures, but somehow to actually live out what I know seems to be so difficult. I know that You are in control and that You are not slumbering. I do believe that You will take care of me and my family. I am just praying “Increase my faith!”

Without You I know that I am left to my own resources. I’m sure that pride plays a part in all of this as well as stubbornness. Being an American doesn’t help - and is probably a major hindrance. Ultimately trying to rely on myself only leads to failure. I do realize that You sovereignly ordain everything that comes to pass. I just need to be patient while Your will is revealed to me. I just am struggling right now. Please help me make the right decisions – even if they aren’t easy ones. Please help me to be discerning when looking at the options I have. Please help me to pray and seek Your will.

Lord, please reveal Yourself to me and change me. I know that You promise that if I seek You I will find You. Matthew 7:7-11 says: "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!”. I’m asking – please help me find the answers I’m looking for and that I need for the decisions I need to make.

Romans 12:2 says: ”Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” I so want to know what Your will is for me. Please keep me constantly searching for Your will and not looking to my own desires. Help me get rid of my pride and selfishness. I know that this only keeps me from You.

Please help keep me immersed in Your Word so that I can keep my focus where it should be. It is so easy to let “life” overwhelm me. I’m struggling – please help me keep my eyes focused on You.

Hebrews 13:7, 8 says “Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.” You have blessed my family with wonderful church leaders and teachers– people who know and love You. . .people who are totally committed to You. . .people who teach us the truth about You. . .people whose lives reflect Your love and grace. . .people whose faith in You is immeasurable. Let me and my family learn from them. We have been so blessed by You for allowing us to be part of this wonderful church family.

Colossians 2:7 says: “Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.” Please help me to overflow with thanksgiving for all You have done. Don’t let me forget all You have done and are doing for me. I’m so not worthy of the grace and mercy you have shown me – yet you continue to bless me. I have so much more than I deserve, yet I seem to continue to wallow in the sinfulness of self-pity and depression as trials and tribulations come my way. Help me to keep looking upward.

For my trust to grow in you I need to learn to step out in faith. I might be inconvenienced and discouraged and confused by what is going on, but please help remind me that You know what is best for me and have a plan in store for me. Don’t let me forget what is said in 1 Peter 1:6,7 “In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Let me be content with whatever You set before me. I might not understand why these situations are coming my way, but I know that You do. As Paul said in Philippians 4:11-13: “for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” I know that you will sustain us. Please let me know how to carry out Your will, regardless of the consequences.

I know that You are faithful and can help me through this. In my weakness You are made strong. Isaiah 40:29, 31 says, “He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. . . .but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.”

How little faith I always seem to have. . . I constantly need to be reminded because I know that with You, God, anything is possible. Lord, You are faithful and merciful. We all live by Your grace. I am constantly reminded of how strong my faith in You should be and how I keep falling short. You are omniscient and there isn’t anything that I can say to You that You don’t already know.

In Matthew 11:28-30, Jesus says "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Even in light of this truth, it's hard to stay strong when I am emotionally drained. I long for the comfort and rest that only You can provide.

Lord, please give me wisdom and discernment. Please help me to stand strong. Please increase my faith.

No comments: