Thursday, July 10, 2008

Wow! Long time, no post!

Didn't realize it has been so long since I have posted!

Just finished teaching a citizenship class. It was good to read and reflect back on our history and our founding documents. I have recently reviewed America's Providential History and The Light and the Glory again - both AWESOME books. I've also been listening to some of the Vision Forum history CDs. A new thing that I have had a chance to review was Drive Thru History. I have previously seen the shorter versions on DVD, but this is the curriculum. These are SOOO funny! A great way to keep kids who aren't psyched about history and keep them engaged.

I figured that since I was teaching the class and my kids need to learn about US history anyway that it was as good a time as any to brush up on my own information. Interesting how many things I had forgotten - not to mention the new things I have learned.

*****

Watch out Baptists - don't let this happen to you (just see what has already crept in at those "seeker sensitive" churches):

The elderly priest, speaking to the younger priest, said, "You had a good idea to replace the first four pews with plush bucket theater seats. It worked like a charm. The front of the church always fills first now."

The young priest nodded, and the old priest continued, "And you told me adding a little more beat to the music would bring young people back to church, so I supported you when you brought in that rock 'n' roll gospel choir. Now our services are consistently packed to the balcony."

"Thank you, Father," answered the young priest. "I am pleased that you are open to the new ideas of youth."

"All of these ideas have been well and good," said the elderly priest, "But I'm afraid you've gone too far with the drive-thru confessional."

"But, Father," protested the young priest, "My confessions have nearly doubled since I began that!"

"Yes," replied the elderly priest, "And I appreciate that. But the flashing neon sign, 'Toot 'n Tell or Go to Hell' canNOT stay on the church roof."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.